Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The big city.

After spending 2.5 days getting to Amsterdam, we were ready for the big city (and a break from the bikes...well I was anyway). Our last night before we got here was another surprise- we happened to pick a campground that was basically a small city! Pool with a slide, restaurant, market, bowling, 'midgetgolf', concerts... A different world really. Granted I've never been to campsites not in parks in the states... But I don't think they are like this? Turns out, we were staying one small town away from where a friend of mine from NZ lives! Unfortunately we didn't get to meet up there but we are still scheming.

Yet another campsite surprise when we arrived at the site just outside amsterdam... Our tent is so close to others we could share poles if we wanted. BIG site with lots of young tourists... Different feel than small cozy sites with all friendly dutch 'locals'. Alas, nothing has been stolen which was my major worry here.

We ventured into town the last two days and are completely impressed with this city. It's supposedly the densest city in Europe but we wandered down many quiet streets, hearing only the hum of the many distant bicycle wheels riding riding along. We didn't have a guidebook but with the help of my facebook friends we found some awesome foods, sites, bars, coffeeshops, museums, and markets! I was in heaven at the van Gogh museum as I spent time studying his life and work while abroad in southern france... We even saw a lot of paintings where I have seen the actual place..a thrilling feeling. I'm not quite sure if it is the style I love or his poetic descriptions about nature and life... But his work gives me this rush whenever I see it in person. (some great ones in the MET also)

My other fav was this pancake house we had lunch at... Hard to describe them but a combo of crepes and our style pancakes I think... Either way there were multiple times when I would close my eyes in enjoyment only to open them and see Nate in the same state of pure taste satisfaction.

It was really neat seeing all the different bikes in Amsterdam, they are not the shiniest by a long shot but as far as functionality goes, big thumbs up. People fit their entire family on bikes it seems ! Many creative ways to hold people/stuff besides panniers. When I can I will post some pics from my real camera(all these photos come from the phone camera).

This morning there is moisture surrounding our tent from last nights rain. Except now it is so quiet and the sun is shining so bright that I'm not worried about packing this baby up. A bird just landed on the rain fly. All is well. After we see the city by bike we head to Edam (yes cheeeese) north of here. Ready to ride again, sure. Bring on the next 500 km!
L

1 comment:

  1. Great Lucy!! so descriptive..I wanna be THERE!!!!! nice weather here too....Amsterdam was a treat sounds like....take it all in...enjoy...and thanks so much for keeping in touch and sharing your experiences with US!!! MUCh LOVE Mama

    ReplyDelete

Our Route

Our Route
This is our general (and prospective) route...send us suggestions if you have them!